This is my favorite green smoothie recipe. This is an awesome breakfast on the go. For a lighter smoothie, you can omit the nuts, seeds and collagen peptides. I have improved on the original recipe by adding lemon.
For a green smoothie (or juice) novice, I would recommend staring with 1 handful of greens and 1 1/2 cup of pineapple or mango. If you are a green smoothie aficionado, use 3 handfuls of greens and 3/4 cup of pineapple or mango. Either way, you are sure to get a nice servings of greens.
Makes 2 meals or 4 snacks:
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup coconut water or water
- 1 apple
- 3/4 cup- 1 1/2 cups, if you want this smoothie sweeter) frozen mango or pineapple
- 1-3 handfuls of leafy greens (I like to mix up my greens: spinach, kale, arugula, lettuce, spring greens)
- 2 scoops of collagen peptides
- 2 TB pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or almonds (can use nut or seed butter instead of nuts and seeds)
- 2 TB flax, sesame or hemp seeds (can use nut or seed butter instead of nuts and seeds)
- pinch of sea salt
- juice of half a lemon
- Combine ingredients as listed in your Vitamix (or another high power blender of your choice).
- Blend on high for a minute or until well combined.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
*please use organic ingredients, if possible.
To make this recipe vegan, use 2 TB of pea protein or hemp protein instead of collagen peptides.