This is my go-to roasted chicken thighs recipe. These are delicious, moist and well seasoned. I make this recipe almost every week. Chicken thighs are delicious!
I have a few variations on this recipe: maple mustard glazed, honey mustard glazed, soy and chile glazed and coconut cayenne glazed. Recipes with these variations coming…
- 2 lbs of bone-in skin on chicken thighs
- 3 TB extra virgin olive oil, grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion or half of a large onion, medium dice
- 3 carrots, medium dice
- optional 1 bell pepper, medium dice
- 1 1/2 cups stock, water or beer
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/2 TB wheat berry flour- click for information (or another wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Turn oven to 375 degrees. Remove chicken from the refrigerator. Season well with salt and pepper and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove a large cast iron pan to cook chicken (cast iron and enameled cast iron would be my two pan choices for this recipe).
- Infuse the fat with rosemary and garlic: heat fat over very low heat. Add 2 sprig of rosemary and 3 cloves of garlic to the oil. Cook 5 minutes on each side. Discard the rosemary and remove the garlic from the pan (but don’t throw it away. Put it on a plate to use later).
- Turn heat to high and let oil get very hot (it will shimmer). Add the chicken skin side down (it should sizzle a lot- if it doesn’t the oil isn’t hot enough). Brown the chicken over high heat about 3 minutes a side (until the skin is beautiful, crispy and golden).
- Remove the chicken to a plate. Turn the heat down to low. Add the onions and carrots (and optional bell pepper) and a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes.
- Place the chicken on top of the cooking onions and carrots. Add the garlic cloves and another sprig of rosemary. Add the liquid. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer. Add the lemon halves.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Use tongs to squeeze the lemon over the chicken and veggies. Discard the lemon. Remove the chicken from the pan onto a clean plate. Remove the rosemary and throw away.
- Bring the onion carrot mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 3 minutes. Add the flour and boil for another 3 minutes. Turn of the heat. Stir in parsley.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and voila! Roasted chicken thighs!
*please use organic ingredients, if possible.
Roasted Chicken Thighs= Intermediary Culinary Skill Level- click to read about how I rate the difficulty of my recipes