I no longer use conventional hair dye products. I am so happy I have found a way to color my hair using three natural ingredients. These three ingredients, in these proportions, work on my hair color (medium brown with a bunch of grey). Different hair colors and types will color differently with this recipe.
Ive had to mess around with the proportions, but I am finally really happy with the color!
I buy all three ingredients on Amazon:
- 4-5 TB Amla powder (I use Terrasoul Superfoods brand)- In the pictures I have used 5 TB of amla. I vary between 4 and 5 TB. 5 TB creates are darker and deeper brown and 4 TB has a lighter tint and a slightly reddish undertone.
- 1 TB Henna powder (I use Star West Botanicals brand)
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 TB Indigo Powder (I use Kama Ayurveda Brand)
- 1/2 cup of water (or more if needed)
- Combine amla, henna and 1/2 cup of water using a plastic or wooden spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 12-18 hrs.
- Add indigo and 1/2 cup of water. Stir to combine. Add more water if necessary to make a mud-like consistency.
- Apply to hair immediately. Wrap head in plastic and allow to sit on hair for 1-6 hours.
- Wash out with warm water in the shower until most of the dye is washed away. Then apply a large amount of conditioner, rub into scalp and rinse. Then shampoo 2-3 times until your hair runs clear.
*this will dye any grout in your bathroom and your towels. Use care not to spill and use a dark colored towel to stand on and to place your tools on when mixing and applying.
Above pictures, mixing hair color. Below picture, coloring just my roots:
After 2 1/2 hrs (below):