Adaptogens consist of herbs, roots, fruits, mushrooms, stems and seeds. Adaptogens have healing properties and a long history of use (mostly in ayurvedic and chinese medicine). Adaptogens help the body with stress, a normal metabolism, and normal physiological functions.
My favorite adaptogens:
- Amla is a fruit that is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and polyphenols. Amla is also anti-inflammatory.
- Ashwaganda is a root that can help with endocrine functions. It is good for autoimmune diseases. It is high in iron.
- Astralagus is a root that helps strengthen the lungs. It helps strengthen the immune system and improves cardiac blood flow. Regular use can be good for the liver and kidneys.
- Chaga is a mushroom that is a super high source of antioxidants. It can stimulate the immune system. Chaga is antiviral and an inflammation tamer.
- Cordyceps are a mushroom that can strengthen the immune system, help with asthma, improve lung function and can strengthen the kidneys. They are high in antioxidants and can help lower elevated cholesterol levels.
- Ginseng is a root that can help people with adrenal insufficiency. It can help the immune system perform better, regulate the nervous system, balance bodily functions and metabolism.
- He Shou Wu is a root that nourishes the liver, kidneys and blood and can improve adrenal and thyroid function.
- Holy Basil (or Tulsi) is an herb. It can enhances cerebral circulation and memory and helps with allergies.
- Maca is a root that is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family. Maca is good for hormones, energy and overall mood. It is high in calcium, b vitamins, amino acids, antioxidants, magnesium and other vitamins!
- Reishi is a mushroom that acts as an anti inflammatory. It can strengthen the immune system and help with allergies and asthma.
- Triphala is a combination of three herbs/fruits: amalaki, bibbhitaki and baritaki. It strengthens the colon.
Ways to consume adaptogens:
- Making an adaptogens drink. My husband and I try to drink one everyday. I make adaptogen lattes, adaptogens cacao drinks, adaptogen horchatas and adaptogen tea lattes.
- Drinking tea (ginseng or holy basil)
- Taking triphala by placing 1/4 tsp of powder on the tongue and then drinking a glass of warm filtered water.
- Amla is an adaptogen very high in vitamin C; therefore, when I think I am getting sick, or need an immune boost, I will add 1 tsp to my smoothie.
- Maca is high in antioxidants, and I like to add a pinch to a smoothie or baked good.