Activated charcoal made from coconut shells allows toxins to be grabbed by the charcoal and travel through and out of the body. Activated charcoal uses the chemical process of adsorption (where elements bind to a surface, in this case to the charcoal), allowing toxins to be grabbed by the charcoal and travel through and out of the body.
My husband and I have seen some pretty awesome results using charcoal.
- Eating Sugar, Processed Foods and/or Vegetable Oils: Eating clean and real foods is extremely important to me. Occasionally in life, I cannot control it and I am in a situation where I have to eat processed food or food with “ingredients” that I don’t believe in eating*. Also, I have a sweet tooth. It’s important to me to make small portion goodies made with absolutely no cane sugar (only sweetened with fruit, dates, honey or maple syrup). All recipes on LooKitchen are sweetened with the above listed ingredients because I believe in living a cane sugar free (mostly) lifestyle. Having said that, I occasionally eat a treat (or two!!) from some amazing bakery. I always make sure that the treat will be made using real ingredients (flour, eggs, cane sugar, vanilla extract, butter, etc…) and I enjoy it immensely! When I do eat processed food or sugar, I take 2 charcoal before and after followed by 2 glasses of water.
- Avoiding a hangover: When my husband and I drink more than 2 drinks (which isn’t very often), we try to take 2 charcoal capsules followed by 2 glasses of water before and after drinking alcohol. If we remember to do this, we hardly feel the effects of over-indulgence.
- Treating a sunburn: When my husband and I get a bit sunburned, we take a bath with 4 charcoal capsules, 1/4 cup manuka honey and 1/4 cup coconut oil. We sit in the bath for 20-40 minutes and follow it with a shower using Dr. Bronners soap to wash the charcoal off our skin. This is the most amazing sunburn treatment!
- Helping with minor skin irritations: pimples or minor stings, bites, or rashes. I used charcoal on a bee sting once and it soothed and healed it remarkably quick. Make a paste with 1 capsules of charcoal and 1 tsp of coconut oil or water and rub it on the skin. Let sit for 30 minutes and rinse off. **
- Brushing as a natural teeth whitener: I like using charcoal to brush my teeth. It helps whiten teeth. After brushing and flossing teeth as normal, I brush them again with charcoal (dip wet toothbrush into a small amount of powder). Then I brush one last time with toothpaste to help get rid of any black in my mouth. I try to do this once a week!
*A post coming soon on what real food and ingredients mean to me (and what “foods/ingredients” I always avoid).
**I am not a medical practitioner and would never advise anyone medically. If there is a problem, I believe you should seek medical treatment from a doctor.
***Make sure to buy activated charcoal made from coconut shells without any additives or fillers. I buy Schizandu organic activated charcoal and I love it!