Granola is a fantastic breakfast or snack!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (2 oz ) nut or seed of choice. Almonds and pumpkin seeds are my two favorite.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 TB fat (olive oil, grass fed butter or coconut oil)
- 1-3 TB manuka honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- optional: 2 oz dried fruit of choice (about 1/2 cup). Dates and shredded coconut are my favorite.
*use organic ingredients, if possible
- Turn oven to 325.
- Combine oats and salt in a large cast iron pan or any large baking dish (a glass 9×13 will work). Toast oats and salt in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the oats are toasting, combine the fat and honey or maple syrup in a small pan over very low heat. Once hot and melted, stir together. Turn the heat off and add the vanilla.
- Remove the oats from the oven. Add the nuts or seeds of your choice to the oats, pour the hot fat mixture over the oats and stir well to combine. Make sure to stir enough so that all the oats and nuts get covered in the hot fat mixture. Place the dish back in the oven for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Remove the dish from the oven and stir the granola around in the pan using a wooden spoon or a spatula. Stir in the dried fruit. Stir every 10 minutes until the granola reaches room temperature.
- Store in mason jars (or any air tight container of choice) in the refrigerator or freezer.
I love my granola with milk or yogurt!